June 24, 2013
Ending violence against women and girls in State custody or State care - Orange Day June 2013
The 25th of every month is an Orange Day to end violence against women and girls.
The UNiTE Campaign is highlighting recommendations from the agreed conclusions of the 57th session of the Commission on the Status of Women in the framework of ‘safe spaces for women and girls’. This Orange Day and in recognition of International Day in Support of Victims of Torture, the UNiTE campaign highlights State custody and State care as safe spaces for women and girls – spaces where they must be safe from torture or any other cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment.
Three action ideas from UNiTE
- Advocate for your country to ratify the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment if it has not already done so.
- Advocate for your country to ensure that its legislation is in line with International Human Rights standards to provide adequate protection for women and girls in State custody and care.
- Advocate for your country to take steps to support education, to sensitize, train and strengthen the capacity of public officials and professionals on the issue of violence against women and girls.
- Read the Agreed Conclusions from the 57th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women: a set of recommendations to the nations of the world. Use the Agreed Conclusions to advocate. What do they recommend? Where do those recommendations need implementation? Your country? Your state? Your city? Tell your public officials to work to end violence against women.
- Explore the work of UN Women
- Read PC(USA) policies and resources on ending torture
- Today is #orangeday! Wear orange & support UNiTE campaign to #endVAW & girls in State custody&care! http://owl.li/km1BB
- On #orangeday 25June,support UNiTE campaign &take action to #endVAW & girls in State custody&care by wearing orange! http://owl.li/km1BB
- Today is the UNiTE campaign’s #orangeday! Do your national laws provide protection 4women&girls in State custody&care? http://owl.li/km1BB
- It's #orangeday!UNiTE campaign says:end #VAW &girls in state custody&care & advocate 4 training for public officials http://owl.li/km1BB
- After #CSW57 to #endVAW &girls,UNiTE campaign says: Make State custody&care safe spaces for women this #orangeday. http://owl.li/km1BB
- Tomorrow is Int’l #Torture Victims' Day. Has ur country ratified the Convention against Torture? http://owl.li/m7NcG #orangeday
Post on Facebook
- The 25th of each month is Orange Day – a day to take action to end violence against women and girls. Each month this year the UNiTE campaign will highlight recommendations from the 57th session of the Commission on the Status of Women to ensure that its conclusions become reality. This month we highlight violence against women and girls in State custody and care.
- Use your imagination to identify and implement other ways of working to end violence against women and girls. Share your ideas.
Of course working to end violence against women and girls is not a task for one day a month. Orange Days provide a reminder that, in Christ, we are called and freed to love one another and to pursue justice for all – each day and every day.