10th Assembly elects new WCC presidents
November 5, 2013
BUSAN, South Korea
The 10th Assembly of the World Council of Churches (WCC) elected eight new presidents today during a closed session at its proceedings in Busan, Republic of Korea.
According to the WCC constitution the role of the WCC presidents is to promote ecumenism and interpret the work of the WCC, especially in their respective regions. The presidents are ex-officio members of the WCC’s Central Committee.
The Central Committee will also be elected during the assembly, but after the presidents are elected.
The eight WCC presidents are:
- Africa: the Rev. Mary Anne Plaatjies van Huffel, Uniting Reformed Church in Southern Africa.
- Asia: the Rev. Sang Chang, Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea.
- Europe: Archbishop Anders Wejryd, Church of Sweden.
- Latin America and Caribbean: the Rev. Gloria Nohemy Ulloa Alvarado, Presbyterian Church in Colombia.
- North America: Bishop Mark MacDonald, Anglican Church of Canada.
- Pacific: the Rev. Mele’ana Puloka, Free Wesleyan Church of Tonga.
- Eastern Orthodox: H.B. John X Patriarch of the Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch and All the East.
- Oriental Orthodox: H.H. Karekin II, the Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians.