Presbyterian communicators win seven RCC awards
‘Presbyterians Today,’ Mission Resources, ‘HORIZONS’ score
April 9, 2013
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) communicators capped an excellent spring awards season by capturing seven prizes in the 2012 DeRose-Hinkhouse Memorial Awards sponsored by the Religion Communicators Council (RCC).
The awards were announced at the RCC’s annual convention banquet here on the same night that PC(USA)-related journalists captured 18 awards from the Associated Church Press (ACP).
Presbyterians Today won two RCC awards, both Awards of Excellence (first place):
- in the overall publication design category for the June-July 2012 issue, awarded to former editor Eva Stimson and former art director Shellee Layman Jones; and
- in the single magazine article category for “The Gun Crisis,” written by Chris Herlinger and edited by Stimson.
Mission Resources won four awards ― two Awards of Excellence and two Awards of Merit (second place):
- an Award of Excellence for the “Water Way” brochure, Shellee Layman Jones and Alyssa Harley, designers;
- an Award of Excellence for the Daily Prayer App, designed by Dana McMahan and Thommy Browne;
- an Award of Merit for the Mission Yearbook for Prayer & Study, Billie Healy, editor;
- an Award of Merit for the advertisement “Facing Seminary Debt? Financial Aid for Service Can Help,” Carol Johnson, designer.
HORIZONS won an Award of Merit in the periodicals-single issue category for its November-December issue, created by Susan Jackson-Dowd, Laura Lee, Sharon Dunne Gillies and Betsy Ensign-George
The RCC bills itself as “an international interfaith association of religion communicators who work in print and electronic communication, media, marketing and public relations.”