Presbyterian communicators win 14 RCC awards
‘Presbyterians Today’ scores two ‘Best in Class’ prizes
April 8, 2014
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) communicators won 14 DeRose-Hinkhouse Awards from the Religion Communicators Council (RCC) at the organization’s annual convention in Nashville on April 3.
The awards included two “Best in Class” prizes ― RCC’s highest award ― for Presbyterians Today magazine.
Edited by Patrick Heery, the magazine received top honors in the “Periodicals” and “Periodicals—Single Issue” categories. The latter was for the September 2013 issue on the theme “War Beyond the Battlefield.”
The DeRose-Hinkhouse Awards are presented annually to RCC members who demonstrate excellence in religious communication and public relations. They are named in honor of the late Victor DeRose and the late Paul M. Hinkhouse, leading New York City lithographers who were strong supporters of RCC.
This year’s winners ― honored for their work during 2013 ― were chosen from among 212 entries. In addition to “Best in Class,” RCC handed out “Awards of Excellence” and “Certificates of Merit.”
In addition to Presbyterians Today’s “Best in Class” awards, PC(USA) award-winners included:
- Patrick Heery, Jeffrey Lawrence and Mark Thomson of Presbyterians Today ―Award of Excellence, national magazine.
- Sharon Dunne Gillies and Yvonne Hileman of Presbyterian Women’s Horizons ― Award of Excellence, periodical-single issue for the September/October issue.
- Heery, Lawrence and Thompson― Award of Excellence, national magazine-single issue.
- Billy Healy of the Presbyterian Mission Yearbook for Prayer & Study ― Award of Excellence, periodical-single issue.
- Margaret Boone and Sam Locke of Special Offerings for the 2013 Peacemaking Offering poster ― Award of Excellence, public relations materials-poster.
- Stephanie Morris of Presbyterian Women for the 2013 Birthday Offering ― Award of Excellence, public relations materials-special print material.
- Carol Johnson, Paul Seebeck and Vera White for the “1001 worshiping communities brochure― Certificate of Merit, overall publication design.
- Heery, Lawrence and Thomson for the April 2013 Presbyterians Today issue “Art as Worship.” ― Award of Excellence, publication cover design.
- Debbie Paris of Presbyterian Women for An Abiding Hope audio set ― Award of Excellence, CD/DVD cover/packaging.
- David Barnhart of Presbyterian Disaster Assistance for “Tapestry: Reweaving the fabric of community after public violence” ― Award of Excellence, video-documentary/educational.
- Locke and Teresa Mader of Special Offerings for the Presbyterian Giving Catalog ― Certificate of Merit, fundraising campaign.
- Thomson and Pamela Burdine of Presbyterian Disaster Assistance for PDA’s Hurricane Sandy mailer ― Award of Excellence, disaster response support materials.
The awards season continues April 25, when the Associated Church Press will present its annual awards to religious journalists at its annual convention in Chicago.