Know Your Rights - English
This packet contains information about your rights during an encounter with any of the Immigration Service agencies of the Department of Homeland Security.
It is Your Right…
If the Immigration Service arrests you:
- Do not answer any questions.
- Do not say anything about where you were born or how you entered the United States.
- Do not show any documents, except a letter from a lawyer. Above all, do not show any false documents!
- Do not sign anything, especially an Order of Voluntary Departure, without first talking to a lawyer.
- Tell the Immigration Service official that you want your hearing in the city closest to where you live where there is an immigration court (so that they do not transfer your case).