Liturgy and worship aids
In response to Hurricane Sandy, which struck the U.S. Northeast coast in late October 2012, Carolyn Winfrey Gillette has written the hymn, “When Waters Roar and Foam.” The hymn recognizes the damage caused by the superstorm, but recognizes the renewing power of God and calls the church to prayer and to love in response.
Where should we look for God in situations of tragedy or disaster? Use this article from the Thoughtful Christian along with an accompanying study guide.
Use this sheet hymn as a worship aid while thinking about those affected by disasters.
This sheet provides objectives for various workshops, each with activities for children to learn and understand Biblical stories.
A service of confession and healing
This Lent, the Words Matter project invites you to the spiritual discipline of paying attention to your words. Far from a desire to be politically correct, Words Matter focuses on deep thinking about what is really at stake in the words we use, acknowledging that words can be used to tear down — but hopeful that more of us will embrace the potential of words to build up.
See also: Words Matter
Download this resource list by Dr. Bruce Harding and Rev. Danielle A. James.
Download the Table of Contents for the World AIDS Day Packet 2013.
Use this resource packet with your congregation to observe Worlds AIDS Day on December 1, 2011:
- Cover letter
- Getting to Zero in the Midst of Advent
- Sample sermon
- Planning Services of Worship that Lift Up World AIDS Day
- “Hazmat Suits and a Funeral”
- Top Ten Reasons to “Know Your Status”
- “Save the Date” flier
- AIDS 2012 FAQs flier
- AIDS 2012 one page summary
- The Changing Face of HIV/AIDS DVD flier
- Becoming an HIV and AIDS Competent Church: Prophetic Witness and Compassionate Action flier
- Faith in Action Award flier
- Press release, “Presbyterian Health, Education and Welfare Association (PHEWA) seeks nominations ...
Use this resource packet with your congregation to observe Worlds AIDS Day on December 1, 2012:
- Cover letter
- My Dreams for an HIV Competent Church: HIV and Aids at the 220th General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (USA)
- How a 67-year-old Introverted Presbyterian Came To Be an AIDS Activist
- Sermon, “Resuscitation”
- Poem, Doy gracias. . .Simplemente gracias!
- Sermon, Leveling the Playing Field : A Call to God’s People on World AIDS Day
- 2012 International AIDS Conference: Personal Highlights
- Flier, Becoming an HIV and AIDS Competent Church: Prophetic Witness and Compassionate Action
- Flier, The Changing Face of HIV/AIDS
- PAN Leadership ...