Manuals and policies
Purpose:To come together as one group of Christians who will seek the mind and heart of Christ for Sequim Community Church, and emerge with a joint recommendation to be made to the congregation and the presbytery. Group members will develop respect for one another. This is not mediation, arbitration or negotiation at this point although that may develop depending on the recommendation we make. Disagreement among members is expected, the group should seek to avoid an adversarial stance.
Many items of this covenant were adapted from Guidelines for Communal Discernment
(2008) by Rev. Victoria Curtiss, p. 14. Presbyterian Distribution Service, PDS# 24358-08-007.
The Task Force has outlined the three stages of the CPM process for those seeking ordination to the Minister of Word and Sacrament. This policy paper follows the current CPM process in the detailed outline of the Final Assessment Phase.
1. Each Session will receive a letter asking them to indicate the best time for a team to visit. The COM Triennial Visit team will consist of a minister and an elder.
2. Times will be matched with members of COM available and the COM member will be contacted to make the visit. Minister COM members recruit an elder to complete the team; and elder COM members recruit a minister to complete the team.
In order to assure the on-going continuing education of its pastors, the Presbytery of Northern New York shall not approve a call for pastoral services which does not provide for two weeks continuing education leave with pay per year, optionally cumulative up to three years.
WHAT IS A FINANCIAL REVIEW? WHY SHOULD WE HAVE ONE?
The Book of Order says that conducting a financial review of all church financial records once each year is a minimum standard a church should observe. [G-10.0401d] People who know how to balance a check book, read a balance sheet or an operating statement, and can use a calculator will have the skills necessary to tell whether reports fairly represent the financial condition of a congregation.
1. Divide congregations for visitation into three-year rotation.
2. COM members sign up for visits. If available, read the last Triennial Visit report.
3. Contact Session Moderator to schedule a 45-60 minute visit with Session and a meal with the Moderator and spouse (where applicable). Include Associate pastors or arrange to meet with them another time.
MYTH #1: Confidentiality means secrecy.
MYTH #2: If you get confidential information, you cannot use it.
FACT #1: The deliberations of the Committee on Ministry or Preparation for Ministry should be considered confidential. You will report the actions of the committee to council and/or presbytery, but the deliberations should be treated as confidential and any background or supporting information shared during the reporting should be carefully considered. Once you report information, it is public, unless it occurs in the context of an executive or private session of the group to whom you are reporting. Any files which you keep ...
Commissioned Lay Pastor Ministry in the Presbytery of Northern New York
· written application to the Committee on Ministry (COM)
· session endorsement
· interview with COM representatives & approval by
Committee on Ministry
“The presbytery is responsible for the mission and government of the church throughout its geographical district.”(G-11.0103) Because of that unique responsibility for the mission of Christ’s church throughout the geographic region, it falls to the presbytery to determine when it is appropriate for a particular church to be closed. “It (the presbytery) therefore has the responsibility and power, to divide, dismiss, or dissolve churches in consultation with their members.” (G-11.0103i) This document is to guide the Trustees of the Presbytery of Great Rivers in their roll in the both the consultation with the membership of a ...