Manuals and policies
In order to assure the on-going continuing education of its pastors, the Presbytery of Northern New York shall not approve a call for pastoral services which does not provide for two weeks continuing education leave with pay per year, optionally cumulative up to three years.
WHAT IS A FINANCIAL REVIEW? WHY SHOULD WE HAVE ONE?
The Book of Order says that conducting a financial review of all church financial records once each year is a minimum standard a church should observe. [G-10.0401d] People who know how to balance a check book, read a balance sheet or an operating statement, and can use a calculator will have the skills necessary to tell whether reports fairly represent the financial condition of a congregation.
1. Divide congregations for visitation into three-year rotation.
2. COM members sign up for visits. If available, read the last Triennial Visit report.
3. Contact Session Moderator to schedule a 45-60 minute visit with Session and a meal with the Moderator and spouse (where applicable). Include Associate pastors or arrange to meet with them another time.
MYTH #1: Confidentiality means secrecy.
MYTH #2: If you get confidential information, you cannot use it.
FACT #1: The deliberations of the Committee on Ministry or Preparation for Ministry should be considered confidential. You will report the actions of the committee to council and/or presbytery, but the deliberations should be treated as confidential and any background or supporting information shared during the reporting should be carefully considered. Once you report information, it is public, unless it occurs in the context of an executive or private session of the group to whom you are reporting. Any files which you keep ...
Commissioned Lay Pastor Ministry in the Presbytery of Northern New York
· written application to the Committee on Ministry (COM)
· session endorsement
· interview with COM representatives & approval by
Committee on Ministry
“The presbytery is responsible for the mission and government of the church throughout its geographical district.”(G-11.0103) Because of that unique responsibility for the mission of Christ’s church throughout the geographic region, it falls to the presbytery to determine when it is appropriate for a particular church to be closed. “It (the presbytery) therefore has the responsibility and power, to divide, dismiss, or dissolve churches in consultation with their members.” (G-11.0103i) This document is to guide the Trustees of the Presbytery of Great Rivers in their roll in the both the consultation with the membership of a ...
Candidate Indebtedness Policy
When Northern New York is the Presbytery of Care
The Covenant between The Synod of the Trinity of the Presbyterian Church (USA) and Davis & Elkins College
I. Preamble to the Covenant
Throughout their respective histories, The Presbyterian Church (USA) and Davis & Elkins College have based their corporate lives on the premise that humankind approaches and responds to God through both faith and learning. For example, requirements for ordination as a Minister of the Word and Sacrament in the Presbyterian Church (USA) make clear that those who sense a divine call to ministry must act on that calling by completing a rigorous program of higher education. This belief in the ...
In addition to the "Criteria for Ministry of Continuing Members" found in G-6.0100, G-6.0200 and G-11.0403 the following shall apply:
1. A continuing member shall take the initiative in establishing an active relation to Presbytery evidenced by regular attendance. Regular attendance shall normally be understood to consist of attendance in at least three (3) of the regular stated meetings each year; and request for excuse for all absences. Honorably Retired members are encouraged to attend meetings but are not required to request an excuse for all absences from regular stated meetings.
2. A continuing member shall exhibit ...
If information is received in writing from a presbytery within the Synod, from a Presbytery Council of a presbytery within the Synod, or from the Stated Clerks' Conference gathered to review presbytery minutes, to the attention of the Synod Executive, the Stated Clerk, or the Moderator of the Synod concerning any irregularity, delinquency, or other circumstance not in accordance with the Book of Order of the Presbyterian Church USA in any of the presbyteries of the Synod that calls for the exercise of oversight by the Synod, that person shall consult with the other two about the advisability of initiating ...