National Presbyterian Church of Mexico begins 140th anniversary
May 14, 2012
Theological and historical gatherings begin this month in Mexico City to celebrate the 155 years of Reformed presence in the country (1857-2012) and the 140th anniversary of the establishment of the National Presbyterian Church of Mexico (INPM).
The commemoration extends through November.
History, theology and anthropology will be the themes of a series of lectures, round table discussions and exhibitions remembering the arrival of the first U.S. missionaries in Mexico in 1872, where evangelical congregations had already been established some 15 years earlier.
In the State of Zacatecas in particular, there were families holding worship services as early as 1856. The Sinai Temple in Villa de Cos, consecrated in 1870, is the oldest among the evangelical church buildings that exist in Mexico.
Presbyterian missionary Melinda Rankin began her evangelistic activity in the north of the country in 1862.
The commemorations will begin on May 18 with the theme, “History and Historiography of Presbyterianism,” to be followed on July 6-7 with the theme of “Presbyterianism: A People With a Theological Mentality.” A third themed event will be, “Presbyterianism: Social Anthropology and History.”
On Sept. 9 and10, the Theological Community of Mexico will host a program on “Debating Protestantism: Roundtable Discussions and Final Lecture.” On that occasion prominent leaders of Mexican Presbyterianism will be honored, among them Juan Amador, Melinda Rankin, Arcadio Morales, Elazar Z. Pérez, Moisés Sáenz, Aarón Sáenz and Evangelina Coroa.