News roundup from the mid-councils—presbyteries and synods—of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
The Rev. John L. Odom was installed Saturday, Nov. 21, by the Presbytery of Mid-Kentucky as its new presbyter for Community Life. The service of installation took place during the presbytery meeting held at Second Presbyterian Church, Louisville. The Rev. Mamie Broadhurst, pastor of Covenant Community Church in Louisville, preached the sermon.
“As the title of my position envisions, presbyter for Community Life, I am here to foster deep and abiding relationships, facilitate partnerships, share in the mission of the church of Jesus Christ and nurture the beloved community of justice and love for all people,” Odom wrote in a message to the presbytery. “I want to be a colleague, a pastor, a motivator, and a fellow pilgrim on the journey.”
Approved the “Resolution for Protection and Hospitality for Syrian Refugees” at its 305th Stated Meeting Wednesday, Nov. 18, at the First Presbyterian Church of Hudson.
The resolution beings:
“We, on behalf of the 64 congregations and more than 6,000 members of Albany Presbytery, affirm our commitment as followers of Jesus Christ to share the love of strangers and care for the vulnerable. Remembering that Jesus as a child was a refugee and as an adult welcomed strangers, we seek to provide safe refuge and hospitality to those fleeing war in Syria.
We call upon our neighbors in New York State and our fellow citizens in the United States to join us in seeking to protect and sustain Syrian refugees.
We call upon our state and national leaders to remember our nation’s commitment to inclusion and choose justice over fear in responding to those affected by the Syrian war.”
Click here to read the full resolution online.
- The Rev. Jenni Walker Noyes was installed as Designated Pastor on Sunday, Nov. 8 at 3:00pm at Heritage Presbyterian Church, 515 North Leavitt Road in Amherst, Ohio.
- Candidate Melanie Marsh Baum was ordination as a Teaching Elder and installed as Associate Pastor on Sunday, Nov. 8 at 6:00pm at Church of the Covenant, 11205 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio.
- The Reverend John Gehring-Anders was installed as Pastor of Orwell North Presbyterian Church on Sunday, Oct. 18 at 3:00 pm at Orwell North Presbyterian Church, 135 N. Maple Ave., Orwell, Ohio.
- The Reverend Meredith White was installed as Pastor of Noble Road Presbyterian Church on Sunday, October 11 at 3:00 pm at Noble Road Presbyterian Church, 2780 Noble Road, Cleveland Heights, Ohio.
- Candidate Terra Winston was ordained to the ministry of Teaching Elder as Delegations Coordinator and Interim Care Coordinator for Christian Peacemaking Teams in Chicago on Saturday, Sept. 19 at 11:00 am at Fairmount Presbyterian Church, 2757 Fairmount Blvd, Cleveland Heights, Ohio.