Presbyterians with an interest in ecumenical engagement have an opportunity to continue their education through the Eugene Carson Blake Scholarship. Applications are now being accepted for the scholarships that will be awarded by the Ecumenical Institute at Bossey, Switzerland.
“The General Assembly Committee on Ecumenical and Interreligious Relations (GACEIR) has been invited to nominate one Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) student applying for admission for the upcoming academic year,” said the Reverend Everdith Landrau, manager of Ecumenical Relations and Networking, with the PC(USA) Office of the General Assembly. “Nominees will be forwarded to the admissions committee at Bossey, who grants final approval of applicants.”
Landrau says scholarship applicants will be informed of decisions following their admission to the Bossey program.
Full scholarship, including tuition, room, and board are available for:
- Certificate of Advanced Studies in Ecumenical Studies (5 months)
- Complimentary Certificate in Ecumenical Studies (5 months)
- Certificate of Advanced Studies (CSAS) in Interreligious Studies
Application materials to be submitted to GACEIR include:
- Application form (including name, contact information, home congregation, and theological institution)
- Copy of complete Bossey application, including transcripts
- Copies of letters of recommendation
- An 800–1,000-word essay on the significance of ecumenism and interfaith partnerships in the life of the applicant, applicant’s community, and the church broadly
“Selection will be based on members or active participation in PC(USA) congregations, a strong interest or commitment to ecumenical engagement, academic ability, and the potential for ecumenical and interfaith partnership with a church in the future,” said Landrau. “Candidates in seminary and or with a bachelor’s degree are welcome to apply.”
The annual scholarship was created in the mid-1980s after the death of the Reverend Dr. Eugene Carson Blake, former Stated Clerk of the United Presbyterian Church in the United States of America.
The deadline to file is November 30. All materials must be submitted to GACEIR at email@example.com.